top of page

CalFresh Program


What is CalFresh?

The CalFresh program, formerly known as Food Stamps and federally known as the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), can add to your food budget to put healthy and nutritious food on the table. The program issues monthly electronic benefits (similar to a bank debit card) that can be used to buy most foods such as bread, cereal, fruits, vegetables, meat and fish at many markets, grocery stores and farmers’ markets.

The CalFresh program helps to improve the health and well-being of qualified households and individuals by providing them a means to meet their nutritional needs.

At the Federal level, the program is administered by the United States Department of Agriculture’s Food and Nutrition Service. In California, the CalFresh Program is supervised at the state level by the California Department of Social Services and is administered at the local level by each County Welfare Department.

How to Apply for CalFresh:



In Imperial County you can apply for CalFresh in several different ways:

  • Complete an online application  from any computer 24 hours 7 days a week.

  • By telephone (760) 337-6800

  • Fax a completed application to (760) 337-5080

  • Mail a completed application to any district office listed below.
    Download a CalFresh Application: ENG  | ESP 

  • Visit any of our district office locations:


Department of Social Services

2895 S. 4th St.  Bldg C

El Centro, CA 92243


Department of Social Services

2995 S. 4th St  Suite#105

El Centro, CA 92243


Brawley One Stop

860 Main St

Brawley, CA 92227


*All offices are open Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m to 5:00 p.m.



*Minimum requirements to file a CalFresh application:

  1. Applicant’s name and

  2. Household’s address (unless homeless), and

  3. Signature of head of household, any adult household member or an authorized representative, or responsible minor.

To locate other CalFresh County Offices:



Already Getting CalFresh?

If you are currently receiving CalFresh benefits, please call your assigned Eligibility Specialist at their designated number  or if you do not know your assigned worker’s name or number, you may call our service center at (760) 337-6800 for assistance. The service center is open Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Anyone who answers the line will help you immediately by providing you your assigned worker’s name and direct number. Having your CalFresh Case Number or Social Security Number available will help the representative serve you more quickly.

Expedited Services

If you are without money for food, you may qualify for emergency CalFresh benefits. Expedited Services will provide eligible households CalFresh benefits by the third calendar day following their application date. A weekend (Saturday and Sunday) is considered one calendar day.

You can qualify for Expedited Services if you meet all other CalFresh requirements,

provide identification and

  • your household makes less than $150 in monthly income and has less than $100 in liquid resources; or

  • your household’s combined monthly income and money on hand are less than your household’s combined monthly rent and utilities; or

  • you are a migrant or seasonal farm worker and have less than $100 on hand right now; or

  • your current situation would qualify you as destitute.

If you would like help filling out your CalFresh application or to participate in an interview, you may appoint an Authorized Representative (AR). This individual would need:

  • Access to your personal information

  • Your permission to make decisions on your behalf

In addition, Translation services available upon request.

bottom of page